Saturday, April 28, 2012

Making Memories

One of the things I've been particularly bad about in the past is finding creative things to do with pictures we take or videos of our lives.  I end up with gigabites of unused media, although it is fun to look back every now and again.  Tracy and I were walking the streets a couple of weeks ago and I saw what looked like the perfect canvas.  It's just particle board on a wooden frame, which almost looks like a stretched canvas.  I thought it would be a perfect surface to decoupage and hang on the wall.  

DSC 0060

The hard part was figuring out what to put on it.  For the past 2 weeks, it's been used as a barrier to keep Kitty out of certain areas of the apartment, then Tracy challenged me to put some photography to work.  

I started with a copy of La Vanguardia that I purchase for 1,20€ and covered the whole surface.

DSC 0063

DSC 0062

Then I combed through our pictures and printed photos of our time in Barcelona.  I printed until I ran out of ink. 

Here is the final product…so far.  

DSC 0005

We intend to continue adding photos as we make more memories and buy more ink. 

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Texas-Shaped Table

We took a walk two weeks ago at trash night.  As we were contemplating turning back towards home, we ran across this odd, Texas-shaped table.  Tracy could immediately see potential in it, but I was completely against taking it home.  As soon as we turned to walk away, I changed my mind and we picked it up.  We managed to get it home and not do any damage to it on the way.  We toyed with different ideas on how to utilize it and what to do with it, but after careful analysis, we decided to decoupage it.  Of course, Tracy was completely right about this table's potential. Here is the process.
The Original felt covers, or what was left over after I started taking it apart.  There were 3 layers of felt (2 maroon and one mustardy yellow), full of dust, each individually stapled to the table.  I had to pull hundreds of staples out of every surface of the table, with pliers.  

The Table with the felt cover removed.

After all the staples were removed, the surface of the table was largely destroyed.  There were also half staple sticking up out of the wood, which I could not remove with pliers, so I hammered them back into the table to avoid tetanus scratches. 

Me looking at pictures and pages to cut out.  A couple of the legs had Carcoma (wood worm), so I had to do some injections of Matacarcoma (a clear chemical used to treat wood) before I could start on resurfacing.
What to use, what to use.  So many fun pictorial history books I found late one night while Sadie was going potty.

Getting started

It's always hard to decide where to put my favorite images.

An hour in.

A different angle.

Getting close to finishing...Sadie is bored.

Almost done...just missing a couple edges.
The Final Project

Another Angle of the table.
Thanks to Tracy for taking the great pictures of me hard at work.